The World Boxing Council have revealed that Badou Jack is seeking to make the next defense of his super middleweight title against one-tme 160 pound title holder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Jack apparently made the request at this week’s WBC Convention in China, which was approved by President Mauricio Sulaiman, and should take place once Chavez Jr is fully recovered from surgery on his left hand.
“Badou Jack is in a voluntary stage – he successfully defended the title against mandatory challenger George Groves on September 12,” said the WBC.
“Jack stated at this convention that he wants to make a voluntary title defense against former WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., who is also at this convention, said that his son also wants the fight.”
The future mandatories of Adonis Stevenson and Miguel Cotto were also clarified by the WBC, but hinge of the completion of Isaac Chilemba v Eleider Alvarez and the Puerto Rican middleweight champion’s own fight with Canelo Alvarez on November 21.
“The WBC ordered a mandatory title defense last year against WBC Diamond champion Sergey Kovalev of Russia in what would be one of the biggest fights possible.
“An agreement was not reached between the fighters’ representatives, but the WBC continues to fully support both parties in their continued negotiations for this super fight. In order to determine a mandatory challenger, No. 1 ranked NABF champion Isaac Chilemba of Malawi will fight No. 2 ranked WBC Silver champion Eleider Alvarez of Colombia in a final eliminator on November 28 in Quebec City.
“Cotto is scheduled to make a voluntary title defense against No. 1 ranked former super welterweight world champion Canelo Alvarez on November 21, with the winner committed to make a mandatory defense against WBC interim champion Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan.”