The day after he arrived from a month-long stay in the US, Donnie Nietes woke up early Tuesday morning, put on his training gear and sweated out the remaining jet lag.
Even though Nietes won’t be fighting until March next year, the long-reigning World Boxing Organization light-flyweight titlist is making sure he won’t be gaining weight in the coming months.
Nietes is coming off the eighth successful defense of his WBO 108-lb crown last Oct. 17 in the US and his promoter, Michael Aldeguer, who heads the Cebu-based ALA Boxing, has told him of plans about defending the title in his hometown of Bacolod City.
“Hindi naman ako nagpapabaya sa ensayo kahit malayo pa ang laban (I won’t neglect my training, even after a fight),” said the 33-year-old Nietes.
Aldeguer had earlier expressed a desire to arrange a showdown between Nietes and Roman Gonzalez of Nicaragua but the pairing might not happen until late 2016.
Nietes called out Gonzalez following the Filipino’s clear-cut win over Mexican Juan Alejo at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
On the very same night, Gonzalez had also issued a strong statement by beating up of Brian Viloria in New York.
In the meantime, Nietes will keep himself busy and active as he gets ready for the biggest battle of his decorated career but admits he will take it nice and easy so he could enjoy the fruits of his labor.
Following his win over Alejo, Nietes spent some time visiting the many retail outlets in Southern California apart from making a side trip to Orlando, Florida, to attend the WBO convention.
During the convention, Nietes was declared “super champion” by the WBO’s inner circle, the same accolade given to Manny Pacquiao.
“Proud talaga ako sa award ng WBO (I’m proud to be the WBO champion,” said Nietes, whose stash from his extended stay in America also included several sneakers and caps.
“Yan ang mga hilig kong bilhin at kolektahin (I have a tendency to buy and collect),” added Nietes.
Courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin. Follow Nick on Twitter @NickSpeaks