British super lightweight contender Ashley Theophane is on the brink of securing a high-profile clash with Adrien Broner as promoter Floyd Mayweather continues to negotiate the forthcoming encounter.
Theophane, who has been a member of Floyd’s ‘Money Team’ since 2012, had been promised a shot at Broner’s WBA title even before his most recent win over Steve Upsher on the Mayweather v Berto undercard and now hopes to hear confirmation of his first shot at a recognised belt.
“I’ve been in London for the last month so I haven’t spoken to none of my team about the fight yet. Enjoying my time off and when it’s fight time they’ll tell me,” Theophane told World Boxing News.
“Floyd wants the fight. Adrien said he wanted to fight me next and I told the media after my 39th victory on Floyd’s undercard that I wanted AB next. So all parties involved want the fight and the rest I leave for Mayweather Promotions to deal with.
“I hear that if the fight happens it will be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and also Broner’s coach said that he’d be back out in January.”
Broner, 26, is back on form following victory over Khabib Allakhverdiev to claim a fourth weight world championship, although Theophane admitted to WBN that his still yet to watch the October 3 triumph.
“I haven’t watched the fight, but I heard he put in a very good performance. His best in years,” said Theophane.
“Name-wise, Adrien Broner maybe the biggest in the 140lbs division. It’s the fight I want and I believe 100% I will win and shock the boxing world.
“Terence Crawford is the best at 140lbs and Postol is very good, but Broner has the name. This division has been talent packed going back to the Floyd, Hatton, Cotto days and there’s always new talent coming through.
“Winning the world title is the top of the mountain, so to do what some of those great names did would be great as I’ve done most of what I’ve set out to accomplish and I just want big fights.”
The 35 year-old is currently riding a six-fight winning streak having only lost a split decision to Pablo Cesar Cano since linking up with Mayweather in Nevada, whilst Theophane stressed that he has still plenty left in the tank moving forward.
“I believe I have five more years in this sport. I’m performing the best I ever have. I’m yet to see decline, and I feel like I’m getting better with age. I’m experienced and there’s nothing a fighter can bring to the table that I haven’t seen. It’s all about performing on the night.
“I’ve lost three fights in America, two of which were split decisions to a future world champion in Danny Garcia and former interim WBA world champion Pablo Cesar Cano, so I’ve proved I can hang with the very best.
“The target is to retire with 50 wins and with money in the bank,” added Theophane.