Exclusive: Shane Mosley willing to face Liam Smith if current fight talks fall through
Highly-rated welterweight Shane Mosley has informed WBN that his recent social media spat with new WBO 154 pound champion Liam Smith could lead to a fight in the future.
Mosley, 44, is currently in talks to fight either Ruslan Provodnikov or Chris Algieri in December, as revealed to WBN in a previous interview last week, but the American would consider facing Smith in Liverpool should those bouts fail to materialize.
‘Sugar’ Shane and Smith exchanged tweets on Sunday night just 24 hours after the Merseysider claimed his first world title by stopping John Thompson in Manchester and Mosley says he is open to a future clash.
“I honestly hadn’t heard of Liam Smith until Sunday,” Mosley exclusively told World Boxing News.
“These fighters are used to other fighters not accepting challenges, but I will fight anyone. If the deal is decent and makes sense then I am ready.
“Smith’s opponent looked like a Temptation and was like rated 43, I hear, but I don’t even know how that was a title fight. Not to take nothing away from the kid, but I feel bad to beat up on kids like that. They have absolutely no chance against a guy like me.
“Right now It’s doubtful that I’ll I fight that kid as I have a big fight I am planning here. I just thought it was funny that everyone calls me out then when I come back they back down.
“I don’t want to take his belt. That doesn’t do anything for me. But if my next fight talks (Provodnikov and Algieri) fall through and the promoter (Frank Warren) can muster the cash, I may come to the UK to snatch the kids belt if he keeps talking mess.”
Asked whether he would be able to earn a sufficient ranking with the WBO, top ten-rated WBA contender Mosley replied: “I can get rated with whoever most likely, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.”