25
Oct
2020

Devastated Ross Burkinshaw questions way forward after double blow

Phil Jay 12/10/2015

British bantamweight Ross Burkinshaw has been left without a title after a nightmare week saw the Yorkshireman also facing a spell on the sidelines.

The 29 year-old dislocated his shoulder for the sixth time in his career when sparring European super bantamweight champion Gavin McDonnell a few days ago and won’t be able to fight again until early 2016.

To compound Burkinshaw’s misery further, ‘The Boss’ was told by the World Boxing Organisation that his fringe 118 pound belt would be taken away following his fourth round defeat to South African Klaas Mboyane back in May.

“A few months ago I was ranked number eight in the world with WBO and number eleven with IBF, but today I stand without the WBO European title because I lost for the WBO Intercontinental and now I’m unsure what the future holds,” Burkinshaw told World Boxing News.

“In sparring on Wednesday of last week, I dislocated my shoulder sparring with Gavin McDonnell which words failed me apart from to say I’m devastated.

“This is my 21st year in boxing. I’ve travelled the world boxing, I’ve met people and seen a lot more things than others in boxing, but the one thing I wanted to do was become world champion so where does this leave me now,” he questioned.

By the time Burkinshaw does grace the ring again he’ll be twelve months away from his last victory and will need to rebuild carefully in order to regain the ranking he worked so hard to obtain first time around.