30
Oct
2020

Yoan Pablo Hernandez has not retired yet, reiterate Sauerland

Phil Jay 02/10/2015

Former IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez is still an active fighter, promoters Sauerland have once again explained to WBN this week.

Consistent reports have done the rounds all week since a German newspaper printed quotes attributed to Hernandez stating that he will be retiring through injury, although Sauerland CEO Chris Meyer has stated that the 30 year-old’s words were taken out of context.

“Yoan Pablo Hernandez has not declared his retirement,” Meyer exclusively told World Boxing News.

“The story is based on a newspaper article here in Germany. I can only imagine that Pablo just said to the writer; ‘If one surgery would come to the next that he probably would retire’ – that is all.

“Yoan will have to undergo surgery on his right knee, first to fix a rupture of the meniscus. Which as far as I know he has not yet been scheduled for any date,” he added.

Sauerland media officer Ed Roff had already confirmed that the reports were untrue in an early article with WBN, although reiterated his earlier statement to fully cement his original quotes.

“As far as I’m aware no decision has been made. Following his operation and the results, Yoan Pablo will sit down with Kalle Sauerland and the rest of the team to discuss his future plans,” said Roff.

Hernandez has lost just once in 30 contests as a pro and had reigned as IBF title holder at 200lbs since an upset victory over Steve Cunningham in 2011. Hernandez repeated the win four months later and made three more defences until stripped by the IBF on September 15 for being unable to commit to fighting mandatory challenger Victor Ramirez.

A final decision on whether Hernandez will fight again will only come from Sauerland after his operation.