Chagaev was forced to rematch Oquendo by an American court even though Browne was the mandatory challenger, leaving the undefeated puncher patiently awaiting his chance which should now come in the first quarter of 2016.
Browne is currently nursing a broken thumb suffered early in his warm-up victory over the rangy Julius Long earlier this month, but hopes to be ready before Christmas for another tune-up before the big one.
“It’s a cracked thumb, so that means four weeks out of my gloves but am still training my legs, abs and doing cardio. I’m still on track and we are looking to be back in the ring in November,” Browne told World Boxing News.
Trainer Peter Fury had publicly offered Browne the spot opposite son Hughie on the undercard of Wladimir Klitschko v Tyson Fury on October 24 in Dusseldorf, although the WBA mandatory challenger says his injury meant the fight couldn’t have been given a second thought.
“It’s nice to be offered the fight with Hughie Fury on such a big event, but it’s not something I’m considering at the moment with my hand the way it is,” he confirmed. “I believe Chagaev is fighting Oquendo in October, so basically my world title shot should be early 2016. I just need a second tune-up before the end of the year.”
Another fight closely linked to Browne was facing WBC champion Deontay Wilder in September, before the American eventually opted for Frenchman Johann Duhaupas. An expected win for Wilder next month would then lead to his own mandatory duties against Alexander Povetkin and Browne is confident that the Russian will end the reign of the ‘Bronze Bomber’ when they meet.
“We all know Wilder is cherry-picking again for a win and a payday until he’s belted by Povetkin next,” said Browne. “I see Wilder lasting about four or five rounds before Povetkin overwhelms and KO’s him.”