Just before departing for London over the weekend, Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said that he is scheduled to meet with British star Amir Khan and his people to explore the possibility of staging a fight starring Manny Pacquiao next year.
“I have to talk to these people first (to determine if a fight can be made),” Arum told the Bulletin from Spain where the 83-year-old Top Rank big boss has been spending the last days of summer.
Last week, Arum mentioned the idea of putting Pacquiao and Khan together in 2016 with the Middle East as venue in case Las Vegas doesn’t come up with reasons for them to stage the fight instead in Sin City.
A few days ago, Khan expressed his desire to meet his former sparring partner in a fight, stressing that it will become a reality if the price is right.
Khan, 28, used to be trained by Freddie Roach, who remains Pacquiao’s cornerman.
Pacquiao (57-6-2 with 38 KOs) is coming off a loss to Floyd Mayweather last May 2 and is aching to resuscitate his legendary career with a victory over a marquee name like Khan (31-3 with 19 KOs).
Arum’s Top Rank, Inc. has the 36-year-old Pacquiao under contract until the end of 2016.
Arum has been talking about holding fights outside the US—to the Middle East specifically—the past few years and a Pacquiao-Khan pairing could open the floodgates in that part of Asia.
Khan is now being trained by Virgil Hunter, who has resurrected the career of the 2004 Athens Olympics silver medalist after failing to find synergy with Roach.
Pacquiao appears to be on the way to recovery after having his right shoulder operated on in Los Angeles a few days after the Mayweather setback.
But it doesn’t appear realistic that Pacquiao will stage his much-awaited comeback this year with February or March next year as most probable dates.
Courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin. Follow Nick on Twitter @NickSpeaks