IBF: No change yet, Devon Alexander v Diego Chaves final eliminator in September
The International Boxing Federation have informed WBN that as far as they are concerned Devon Alexander is fighting Diego Chaves for the number one spot at welterweight next month.
Numerous rumours have placed both Alexander and Chaves as potential opponents for current champion Kell Brook on October 24, although as of right now there is nothing to suggest any change to the final eliminator that was previously agreed.
When asked about the possibility of Alexander or Chaves facing Brook in the UK, IBF Chairman Lindsey Tucker told World Boxing News the following: “This is all news to me. The IBF ordered number four ranked Diego Chaves and number five ranked Devon Alexander to fight in an eliminator for the number one spot and I was told that this fight will take place in September.”
Brook, 28, has been linked to several opponents for his ring return ahead of talks with Amir Khan over a huge domestic match-up at Wembley Stadium in 2016. Khan has confirmed that any encounter with Brook will only be agreed if the Sheffield man can nail down a couple of victories over top level fighters, although promoter Eddie Hearn is still going through that process.
Firstly, Brandon Rios pulled out of negotiations when the fight seemed close to being agreed, and should Alexander v Chaves remain solid, Brook may well be struggling to meet the requirements of Khan for next year.
The likes of WBA title holder Keith Thurman, Marcos Maidana and WBO champion in waiting Timothy Bradley would all be ideal candidates for Brook, although getting any of those three to travel to England for a contest would be a mammoth task for Hearn.