Confusion as Whyte accepts August 1 Hearn offer ahead of Joshua fight
Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte will fight on August 1 at Craven Park in Hull despite claims that he was previously injured and unable to face Anthony Joshua in September.
Whyte, who dropped Joshua in the amateurs, was pictured agreeing a deal with Eddie Hearn just a short time after being ruled out of fighting Matchroom’s star puncher in the autumn – which lead to much confusion amongst fans.
Hearn has since stated that Whyte was not fully ready for Joshua on the original due to a mixture of the injury and the fact that the Brixton puncher’s trainer was involved in a serious accident. With the imminent bout being pushed as a lower-key eight-rounder, Whyte is said to be in the correct frame of mind to follow through with a Hull warm-up.
— Dillian Whyte (@DillianWhyte) July 9, 2015
‘The Villain’ will now face an opponent to be named early next month before his British title meeting the Joshua – which Hearn says will go ahead in November or December. That could mean Whyte fights a second time under the Matchroom banner before trading punches with Joshua as Hearn stirs up as much interest as possible in one of the most intriguing top division UK battles since Haye v Chisora in 2012.
Joshua was due to be involved in a title bout of some sort when he returns to action on September 12, although that may now be in doubt as ‘AJ’ pushes towards a lucrative chance at claiming the coveted Lonsdale belt against his biggest domestic rival.
Gary Cornish has been strongly linked to facing Joshua next but was unable to comment when asked if the fight was going ahead by WBN.