The hard hitting German returns to the ring after being sidelined for more than one year due to an injury. “It was hard for me to take such a long break. I am just happy to finally be back in action Saturday night”, states Gerber.
That the 26-year-old is fired up and in great shape has apparently scared his originally planned opponent Jason Bergman who pulled out of the fight without any specific reason. “I have no idea what happened”, says Gerber. “One day I’m told the fight is on, the next day somebody says that Bergman is ducking me. I was looking forward to facing him. But I can’t change it. I have to face whoever comes my way.”
“It wasn’t easy to find an opponent for Edmund”, adds promoter Timur Dugazaev. “We contacted more than 40 fighters but it seems they are all afraid of his power.” Finally Lubos Suda will jump in as last minute replacement for Bergman. The 39-year-old veteran from Czech Repulic is a former IBF Intercontinental Cruiserweight Champion and has been in the ring with the likes of former World Cruiserweight Champion Firat Arslan. Last year Suda decided to move up to heavyweight.
Because of the late change of opponents, the WBC decided not to sanction the fight as defense of Gerber’s Silver International Championship. To keep his belt the German will have to defend his title against a world rated opponent before the end of September. Gerber vs. Suda is featured on the undercard of the WBA World Heavyvweight Championship between Ruslan Chagaev and Francesco Pianeta on Saturday (July 11th) at GETEC Arena in Magdeburg, promoted by Timur Dugazaev (Terek Box Event / Akhmat Promotion) and Ulf Steinforth (SES Boxing).