Ahead of his fifth successive world title defence, the 36 year-old two-time world champion is relishing a return to the Saxon capital. ”I have good memories from fighting in Dresden,” said Braehmer. ”It was here that I came back from my first world title defeat to claim the European strap in 2009. The city has not seen much boxing since then, but now I’m returning as world champion, and ready to change that!”
For the challenger, the fight at the EnergieVerbund-Arena offers him the chance of a lifetime. Konrad was a young aspiring boxer who following a narrow points defeat to Denis Inkin retired in 2006. In the following years he worked as a dustman, but despite his change of circumstance, the dream of becoming World Champion never left him.
Thanks to Felix Sturm, in 2012 he was given a second chance to achieve his dream. Returning to the ring, the fighter from Cologne began to climb back up the rankings, claiming the WBA International title and eventually earning himself a shot at Braehmer’s crown.
”Konnie was on his way to the top when he lost everything,” said promoter Kalle Sauerland. ”He has since proved his fighting spirit by working his way back up the rankings and back into position to challenge for the world title. Certainly Juergen is favourite, but I expect Konnie to push him to the limit and do everything he can to take his belt!”
The experienced champion will take no notice of Konrad’s underdog status. Braehmer is aware of the threat he poses and is unwilling to underestimate his September 5 opponent. ”As a world champion you cannot afford to underestimate anyone,” said the Schwerin-southpaw. ”If you do your title will soon be gone. Konrad is strong boxer with a lot of heart, but with the right game plan I’m sure I will beat him.”
Tickets for the WBA World Light Heavyweight Championship fight between Juergen Braehmer and Konni Konrad are on sale now and available via tickethall.de.