Brandon Rios yet to sign contract for Kell Brook clash
As former world lightweight champion Brandon Rios exclusively told WBN back in April, the American is ready to accept a fight with IBF welterweight title holder Kell Brook in the UK.
The 29 year-old was named by Brook and Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn as a target for the 147lb champion back in March and is never one to shirk a call-out.
Brook, 28, had been holding out for possible contact from Floyd Mayweather Jr for a unification on September 12, although Hearn says that now looks unlikely and the promoter is ready to turn to Rios to fill the void.
“We would love to make the Mayweather fight for Kell on September 12 and we are in the hat because Kell’s world champion and if Mayweather wants to become undisputed champion with all the belts he has to take that fight,” Hearn told ESPN.
“I don’t think we will get it and others have been mentioned. Kell Brook is more creditable than the names that have been mentioned and like I said Mayweather could have the chance of unifying the division, but I don’t think it will happen.
“We are going for Kell’s next defence to be at the O2 Arena on another huge show there and it’s looking like it will be against Brandon Rios.”
When contacted on Thursday night, Rios predictably confirmed to World Boxing News that the Brook challenge still interests him, although stated that contracts haven’t been signed for what would be a British debut for ‘Bam Bam’ – possibly in September.