Inquest into Tyson Fury uncle Hughie’s death rules accidental

The Visitor 26/06/2015

An inquest has heard how the uncle of heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury was killed by a blood clot that formed after he broke his leg while moving a caravan.

Much-loved family man, horse dealer and boxing coach Hugh ‘Hughie’ Fury, 50, suffered a cardiac arrest after the clot travelled to his lung.

Mr Fury, from Lancaster, lay in a coma for 11 weeks before he died in the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI) on October 11 2014.

He had helped train Tyson – currently number one contender for the World Heavyweight Title – for some of his biggest career bouts.

Tyson cancelled a planned TV fight with Alexander Ustinov in July 2014 when his uncle fell ill.

Mr Fury was first injured when the drawbar of a caravan fell on his leg as he moved it in an accident on July 7 2014.

He had unknowingly fractured his right tibia but as he moved to reach a phone to call for assistance, he slipped again, this time fracturing his ulna, a bone in his left arm.

His wife Violet Fury told the inquest at Preston Coroners Court: “He was bending down trying to lift it (the caravan) off the back of a motor and it tumbled on to his leg and he fell down.”

Surgeons at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester recommended the break to his leg was fixed using a bolt and screw mechanism.

But Mr Fury refused the treatment due to not wanting to break his skin for fear of contracting an infection which could affect the type 1 diabetes he’d suffered from since the age of nine.

Instead, his broken shin bone was plastered from his toe to above his knee.

Consultant orthopaedic surgeon Nicholas Philips told the court: “He would have been better off with the surgery but he didn’t want it, it’s not my professional position to push patients into having something they really don’t want.”

While Mr Fury was treated as a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital, he discharged himself on July 2 without collecting vital medication to lower the risks of clotting while his leg was in cast.

The inquest heard he ignored contact from the hospital, who had arranged for him to be transferred in due course to Lancaster to be closer to his family.

The court heard that when Mr Fury finally attended a clinic at the RLI on July 18, he then told theatre specialist Raji Sinha he was taking the suggested drug enoxaparin, administered in injection form, despite this not being the case.

Mr Sinha told the inquest: “He wasn’t rude but it seemed to me that he wanted to get out of the hospital as soon as possible.

“He didn’t have any excessive symptoms for me to be worried about a blood clot at that stage.”

However as he experienced more discomfort from almost his whole leg being in cast, he returned to the hospital where he agreed to have a metal plate bolted into his leg and went under the knife 20 days after suffering the fracture.

His heart stopped on the operating table when he finally underwent surgery three weeks later.

Fury, of Lancaster, was moved to an intensive care ward where he lay unresponsive for 11 weeks.

Several attempts to wake him from a coma failed.

A post mortem examination found his cause of death to be bronchial pneumonia resulting from a pulmonary embolism and cardiac arrest.

Mr Timothy Miller, orthopaedic consultant at the RLI, said the operation should only have taken 90 minutes but instead took nearer to four hours due to age of the fracture which had started to seize up.

He said: “As the last screws were going in, there was a sudden deterioration in Hugh’s condition.”

Dr James Adeley, senior coroner for Preston and West Lancashire recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

He said: “The most dangerous time for a clot to develop is five to seven days after injury.

“The would make the most definite time for Hugh’s clot to have developed between July 9 and 11.

“These were dates that were uncovered by enoxaparin and was unfortunate.

“On the balance of probability, if the enoxaparin had been continued, it would have prevented the clot from occurring but it’s unclear whether Hugh knew this.”

Mr Fury was in Tyson’s corner for many of his professional fights, including his British and Commonwealth Title win over Dereck Chisora in 2011. He also trained his sons Phill, Walter and Hughie, and was himself a former boxer.

During his time in intensive care, his family, including his devoted daughter Jane, kept a constant vigil at his hospital bed.

In a statement at the time, his brother Peter, Tyson’s current trainer, said: “Sadly we lost our big brother today after 11 weeks of struggle.

“Life will never be the same again for all our family, especially his wife and children. The loss we feel makes us numb with grief.

“He’s passed over to the blessed Lord and one day we will meet again our brother, love you always.”

He also tweeted: “Thanks to every one for the nice messages for my brother. God bless all of you.”

Tyson tweeted: “Tragic loss for the fury family. Uncle Hughie Fury. Forever in my heart & life. RIP. Gone to see Jesus.”

Article courtesy of The Visitor. For more news from the Morecambe area, vist the website at www.thevisitor.co.uk