14
Oct
2019

Lo Greco: I’m not sold on Spence, he needs Porter, Thurman or Broner

Phil Jay 24/06/2015

Welterweight contender Phil Lo Greco has been dealing with the blow of his second career defeat since the weekend but isn’t too downhearted given the late notice of his call-up to face undefeated prospect Errol Spence Jr.

‘The Italian Sensation’ was drafted in with just days to spare following the withdrawal of Roberto Garcia on the latest PBC offering and Lo Greco says he can take heart from his first round display as he awaits another call from advisor Al Haymon.

“I felt great in there. My only issue was the weight cut drained me. Had I been able to have a full camp, I know the result would have been different,” Lo Greco told World Boxing News.

“In regards to Spence, I’m not 100% sold on him. Most of his opponents like myself didn’t have full camps and came in at short notice. I’d love to see him versus a Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman or Adrien Broner next as that will be the true test.”

At 30, Lo Greco still has time on his side to recover from his first stoppage defeat after previously being on the wrong end of a decision loss to Porter in May 2015. The Canadian already has plans to be back in the gym next week and wants to prove any doubters wrong with a complete training camp behind him in the fall.

“I have already sat down with my team and promoter to speak about what’s next and we all agreed that for the short notice they loved the balls I had in taking the fight. They loved the way I looked in that first round and know with a full camp I’ll be a beast.

“I’m going home for the week and will be coming back to start camp July 1. We should have another TV fight and date soon, but looks like late August or early September.

“I’ll let Al Haymon decide what next as he knows what’s best,” he added.

Your SEO optimized title