Floyd Mayweather believes that Willie Monroe Jr would have been able to take down Gennady Golovkin last month if the pound for pound king would have worked alongside the middleweight contender.
As it happened, Monroe, 28, was blasted out in six rounds in a fight that saw Mayweather win a considerable amount of money from a wager he placed on Golovkin to be victorious within five and a half rounds.
Mayweather addressed the fight when speaking to a room full of media reporters at his gym during the week as 160lb ruler and KO artist Golovkin continues to call-out the world number one to meet him at 154lbs in the near future.
“I finally got around to seeing (Golovkin) fight, but even at my weight there’s no way he can beat me,” said Mayweather.
“He can punch, but I don’t even know who that guy was (Willie Monroe Jr, Golovkin’s opponent). If I’d have worked with the guy, the guy could have beat him.
“But I don’t take nothing away from Golovkin. It’s obvious he’s doing something right. So whoever they put in front of him he beats, so he’s been doing something right thus far,” he added.
A clash between Mayweather and Golovkin is currently the hot topic in the boxing world as ‘Money’ gears up to finish off his Showtime contract on September 12. Welterweights Amir Khan, Keith Thurman, Kell Brook and Danny Garcia are said to be in the frame for the clash Golovkin dreams of.
At 48-0, Mayweather is still unsure whether his next fight will be his last.
On the other hand, ‘GGG’ has already fought twice this year and could conceivably line up another two before the year is out as the Kazakh nears a career-defining fight against the winner of Miguel Cotto v Canelo Alvarez if the Mayweather fight evades him.