Top Rank promoter Bob Arum believes Floyd Mayweather won’t be able to reach the monetary heights he enjoyed on May 2 of this year, unless the pound for pound king gives Manny Pacquiao at least one more fight.
Mayweather, 38, is currently scouting an opponent as Pacquiao recovers from shoulder surgery and has been linked to facing the likes of Amir Khan, Kell Brook or Keith Thurman upon his return to action in Las Vegas on September 12.
The American’s next defense signals the end of his six-fight contract with Showtime and will almost certainly mean a return to $50m paychecks for Mayweather following the mammoth fee pocketed for his convincing twelve round win last month.
Arum, who helped negotiate a deal between Mayweather and Pacquiao which is expected to make up to 600 million dollars, says the $275m estimated cheque ‘Money’ took home for the event will only be replicated in a return with the Filipino.
“The money was so huge last time and I’m realistic to know it won’t be as big this time,” Arum told Ring TV.
”But it’d be three or four times as big to another fight these guys can do.’ ‘If he was smart, I would think he’d look to do a rematch, and then one more.”
A retirement announcement is still not being taken too seriously by the media as Mayweather nears what he says will be his last fight, although Arum is not convinced that his one-time protégé will continue on in the sport for another year.
”Floyd is capable of doing anything, he’s got all the money he could ever use, even with his spending habits, it’s hard to see him going through all that money,” said Arum.
”His body is breaking down, so maybe he leaves at 49-0,” he added.