Wladimir Klitschko has backed Anthony Joshua to follow him as the dominant force in the division after witnessing the talented Briton’s destruction of Kevin Johnson last month.
‘Dr Steelhammer’ currently reigns as a four-belt title holder in the top division and believes Londoner Joshua can take over from him as the Olympic gold medallist pushes his way through the rankings.
“I can talk about Anthony Joshua a lot,” Klitschko told Ringside. “I can say a lot of good things about him and I like the way this guy is developing so well.
“I would say I am so confident he will become the dominant force in the heavyweight division.”
Joshua, 25, became the first man to stop veteran Johnson and did so in emphatic fashion in just two rounds. The win took ‘AJ’ into the number two spot with the World Boxing Council and Klitschko can’t see anybody halting his progress.
“I would put any money on Anthony Joshua winning any other fight that comes up that means a lot,” said Klitschko.
“I was expecting Anthony to win this fight (with Johnson) but I never thought he was going to win that comprehensively!”
A clash between Klitschko himself and Joshua seems destined not to happen though as the latter’s promoter Eddie Hearn has seemingly set out a plan for his fighter to take over from the Ukrainian, rather than attempt to knock him off his perch.
The London 2012 champion is set to fight again on July 18 against an opponent yet to be named.