Mayweather has been making the circuit of National Basketball Association playoff games and enjoying the aftermath of his historic unanimous decision victory last month over Manny Pacquiao in the richest event in boxing history, one that earned the Grand Rapids native more than $250 million.
Mayweather (48-0) has said he intends to conclude his storied 19-year professional career with a Sept. 12 fight, but there have been no negotiations to that end, according to Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of his promotional company.
“He said he wants to go in September and I haven’t heard any different,” Ellerbe said. “But we haven’t had a conversation about it.”
Amir Khan recently told British media he thought a fight between himself and Mayweather could be finalized this month.
Ellerbe said there have been no discussions about fighting Khan — or anyone else — since Mayweather’s May 2 win over Pacquiao at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
“There are a number of good young fighters out there all vying for a shot at the king of the hill,” Ellerbe said.
Mayweather said after defeating Pacquiao that he intended to abdicate his championships at welterweight (147 pounds) and super welterweight (154) within days after that fight. But he has taken no such measures to do so and Ellerbe said he has received no instructions to initiate that process.
Mayweather has fought every bout since 2007 at MGM Grand but Ellerbe declined comment when asked if that venue will host his next bout.
If Mayweather-Khan materializes there will be strong support to place the fight at London’s Wembley Stadium.
Khan is from the U.K. and Mayweather often has said he would like to fight there during his career.
Ellerbe said those decisions will be made in short order by the only man empowered to make them.
“Floyd will determine who he fights and when he fights and no one will rush his decision,” Ellerbe said. “He’ll make up his mind who he’s fighting, if he’s fighting, and we’ll go from there. And that decision will be made not one day before he’s ready to make it.”