Khan says Mayweather avoided him, took easier Pacquiao option
Amir Khan believes that Floyd Mayweather chose an ‘easier option’ when selecting Manny Pacquiao over himself for last month’s pay-per-view extravaganza in Las Vegas.
The 28 year-old was in the running to face both Mayweather and Pacquiao on May 2, but ultimately ended up facing Chris Algieri and winning a fight that many believe did more harm than good to his chances of landing the ‘Money’ man on September 12.
Mayweather defeated Pacquiao in what turned out to be whimper of a fight compared to the hype that surrounded it and Khan is now hoping to be able to prove his point if selected as the pound for pound king’s 49th opponent for the fall.
“We were close to making it happen before he got the Mayweather fight. We spoke to each other and I think it might have happened if Mayweather hadn’t said yes to Manny,” Khan told his local newspaper, The Bolton News.
“I think Mayweather saw his chance to fight Manny at the right time. We could all see it wasn’t the Manny we know that night. He was a bit short and not the same fighter he was a few years ago.
“Mayweather could have fought me or Manny and took the easier option,” he added.
Khan faces competition for the lucrative spot in the opposite corner to Mayweather for his final fight on Showtime as speculation mounts that UK rival Kell Brook could pip the former Olympic silver medallist to the post.
Any other result than Mayweather versus Khan would see the Bolton man miss out for the fourth time running after Marcos Maidana landed the contest when 50-50 with the Briton in May 2014. The Argentine would then go on to secure a return with Mayweather – meaning Khan has been waiting almost two years for his opportunity.