The 39 year-old now wants to re-open talks with Trout over the Premier Boxing Champions contest as the Aussie bids to build on his impressive win over the previously undefeated Sergey Rabchenko in November.
“We waiting on the reschedule date,” Mundine exclusively told World Boxing News on Wednesday.
“I’m super keen for that fight as I don’t really like the way he’s been disrespecting me. I want Trout. I want to hurt him!”
Trout, 29, eventually drafted in Luis Galarza from a three-year hiatus to replace the Aussie and duly stopped him in seven rounds, although Mundine told WBN that he didn’t even watch the fight and wants his next outing sorted as soon as possible.
“The injury happened and there is nothing you can do about it, but it’s frustrating when you’re in limbo afterwards because I need to fight,” said Mundine.
“Trout fought, but I never even saw his last fight as It doesn’t matter how he went because I ain’t no C level fighter. I’m a champion and I’m going to show him what’s up.
“God willing they come back with a date soon or we are reluctantly going to have to look at other offers. I need to fight sooner than later as my ear is totally fine now,” he added.
Mundine’s win over Rabchenko saw him pick up the WBC’s silver super welterweight belt, and with Floyd Mayweather contemplating dropping his 154lbs titles, ‘Choc’ would certainly be in the mix with the likes of Canelo to fight for any vacant strap.
To prepare himself, Mundine needs at least a keep busy bout in the interim, although fans are keen to see him and Trout share a ring after some needle in the build-up.
At this point, an encounter between Mundine and Trout remains the number one priority, but needs to be clarified in the coming weeks if it’s ever going to come to fruition.