Manny Pacquiao accepted another chance to fight Floyd Mayweather after it was revealed that the pound for pound king is willing to face him again next year.
“Oo naman, fight tayo (Oh yes, we’ll fight),” said Pacquiao just before he underwent an operation to repair a torn rotator cuff this week before being allowed to head home to the Philippines.
Mayweather’s reported comments added to the complicated aftermath of the so-called “Fight of the Century,” with lawsuits in the works and Pacquiao likely to face disciplinary action for failing to disclose a pre-bout shoulder injury.
Barely one hour after the contest ended, Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said the 36-year-old southpaw had been hampered by a previous injury to his right shoulder.
On Monday, an MRI scan in Los Angeles confirmed the boxer has a torn rotator cuff that will require surgery.
Apparently neither Pacquiao nor his team informed the Nevada Athletic Commission about the shoulder issue until a couple of hours before the start of the fight when they asked for an anti-inflammatory injection.
At that point, it was too late for the commission to investigate whether Pacquiao was suffering a genuine injury and there were no MRIs or medical paperwork to support the claim made by the boxer’s team, the commission said.
When Team Pacquiao filled in its pre-fight medical questionnaire on Friday, a query about any shoulder injury was clearly marked “No” before the form was signed by Pacquiao and his adviser, Mike Koncz.
But Koncz has already cleared Pacquiao, saying he is taking full responsibility for the oversight. Koncz had earlier told the New York Daily News that he checked the wrong box on the medical questionnaire asking if Pacquiao had any injuries.
“Number one, Manny didn’t check the box,” Koncz said. “I checked it. It was just an inadvertent mistake. If I was trying to hide anything, would I have listed all the medications on the sheet that he intended to use? We weren’t trying to hide anything. I just don’t think I read the questionnaire correctly.
“I’m going to take full responsibility for what happened. The wrong box was checked.”
Courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin. Follow Nick on Twitter @NickSpeaks