Brook: I’ll fight some other massive name, not interested in Khan
IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook has ruled out striking a deal with Amir Khan for what would be a British blockbuster clash in the summer of 2015.
The 28 year-old defends his title for the first time at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on Saturday against number one contender Jo Jo Dan and says a grudge fight with long-time rival Khan is off the table for the time being.
“I think the Amir Khan fight is gone for this year,” said Brook at his media day on Tuesday. “I’m the world champion and I will fight some other massive name. I’m not interested in what he does next now.”
Brook could now attempt to snare the winner of the upcoming super-fight between fellow 147lb champions Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao on May 2 in a bid to unify all four titles in the US later this year.
“It makes sense to do a unification fight. No contact has been made yet with either of them and I’m just focusing on my mandatory challenge at the moment. But I want to be involved in the big fights,” he said.
‘The Special One’ will have all eyes on his performance level this weekend as the Yorkshireman returns for the first time since a machete attack last year left Brook with a massive scar which he presented to gathered media.
Expectations from Brook and his promoter Eddie Hearn are that the world title holder is back to 100% following the shocking incident, although that won’t fully be known until the first bell rings in a few days’ time.