Despite initially reaching an agreement for the bout to take place on the Richar Abril v Derry Mathews bill on April 18 in Liverpool, finalisation between both parties has not successfully been reached and as of last week the fight has been off.
A spokesman for Warren outlined the current situation as it stands as Smith weighs up his options for next month’s return to action.
“We have never confirmed or announced fight is on nor do we keep telling people it’s on,” Queensberry told World Boxing News.
“We made Jones a big offer, his manager accepted terms and asked for contract to be sent. Frank Warren then said fight could be made in an interview. At that point, terms had been agreed and his manager had been sent a contract outlining the already agreed terms.
“At contract, they backed out for still unknown reasons. This happens in boxing. It’s a common occurrence and people change their minds or go in a different direction.
“Liam Smith is undefeated, highly ranked with WBA, IBF and WBO. His career does not revolve around Carson jones and he is close to a world title shot. We felt that it would have been a good fight for the Saturday 18th April show, but we moved on from it last week.
“Liam will step up in class and box a yet to be confirmed opponent on the April 18th before we look to secure a world title fight in the summer/early autumn.
“Best of luck to Mr Jones in his career, and perhaps in the future, he and Liam can meet in the ring.”
Oklahoma-based Jones defeated Briton Brian Rose in a shock first round stoppage at Blackpool’s Winter Gardens earlier this year and is now mulling over several other offers for his return.