16
Nov
2019

Deontay Wilder back in June, manager rules out Tyson Fury bout

Phil Jay 20/03/2015

Naoki Fukuda

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder is set to make his first defense of the title this summer as the American aims to cement his place as a main player in the top division.

The 29 year-old, who improved his standout record to 33-0 in January when dethroning Bermane Stiverne, had been linked to a potential blockbuster with top-rated Tyson Fury in the UK, although manager Jay Deas explained to WBN that the fight is now off the immediate agenda.

“We’d love to fight Fury, but as we’re aiming for a June date, our next fight likely won’t be Fury,” Deas exclusively told World Boxing News.

Fury, 26, is awaiting the outcome of Wladimir Klitschko’s bout with Bryant Jennings in April before opening talks over his next outing – which was outlined by trainer and uncle Peter Fury who informed WBN of this news on Thursday.

Peter stated that Fury will not return to action until September at the very earliest, hopefully against the long-reigning Klitschko on British soil, leaving ‘The Bronze Bomber’ free to negotiate an alternative opponent.

“Wilder versus Fury would be a huge international event that would require a lot of negotiation and promotion, but I think it’s a great fight for the fans when it happens,” said Deas.

“But as of now there have been no talks with anyone yet,” he added.

Your SEO optimized title