Brain scan clears Crolla, BBBofC final hurdle to boxing return
British lightweight star Anthony Crolla has been told that he has suffered no lasting damage to his brain following an attack by burglars just before Christmas last year.
The Mancunian, who was due to fight Richar Abril for the WBA title in January, was set upon by two youths as he attempted to foil a robbery and ended up in hospital with a broken ankle and a fractured skull for his trouble.
Crolla eventually lost out to old-foe Derry Mathews who has now stepped in to face Abril in April, although ‘Million Dollar’ is optimistic that he can make a welcome return to the sport in the summer and get his title bid back on track.
“(I’d) like to say a huge thank you to John Leach who’s one of the top neurosurgeons. (He) has reviewed my brain scans today (Thursday) and I’m made up that there’s no permanent damage from December and I’ll be fine to box on. Thanks also to Mike Hayton for putting me in touch,” said Crolla on his social media account.
The Joe Gallagher trained fighter later added: “Thanks for all the well wishes over my last tweet. (The) support has been amazing and once passed by boxing board, which will be straight forward, then hopefully I’ll be able to announce a date for my next fight very soon.”
It was feared by Gallagher and promoter Eddie Hearn that the 28 year-old would never be able to fight again in the immediate aftermath of the incident but Crolla has shown all the determination and resilience needed to once again be a top contender on the world stage.