Roberto Castañeda (21-8-1, 15 KOs), who will face Orlando del Valle (18-2, 13KOs) on March 14 in Caguas, Puerto Rico, will come much better prepared than the version of him last August.
He knocked down José ‘Wonder Boy’ López four times before suffering a controversial majority decision loss. “Now he had more time to train,” said his manager, Bosco Wave. “We are very grateful to Miguel Cotto Promotions because we were warned month and a half in advance and Roberto has been training since January.”
The bout scheduled for eight rounds in the super bantamweight division will headline Univision Puerto Rico’s Boxeo Al Maximo series at the Roger L. Mendoza Coliseum in Caguas that Miguel Cotto Promotions and H2 Entertainment will present on Saturday March 14.
“We are excited to return to Caguas because we are very grateful for the way they treated us those 7,000 Puerto Rican fans who chanted his name after the fight with Wonder Boy” continued Wave. “We have seen Del Valle and is a good boy, a good fighter,” he said, “but this is a good opportunity for Roberto, who often had to accept fights off weight or with little preparation time, to demonstrate the type of fighter he is.”
Promoter Hector Soto has said that there is a possibility that the winner of the match will then be measured up against the Wonder Boy. Wave admitted that this is one of the reasons that Castañeda has been training at full capacity in Mexicali, where he lives.
“We want to extend this rivalry between Mexican and Puerto Ricans” he said, “but the reality is that we have nothing against Wonder Boy: He’s a good guy, a fighter who is just a kid of 20 years and is still learning. Besides,” he said, “I applaud those who protect their boxers: Roberto, who came to be undefeated with 20-0, also spent the same.”
Meanwhile, Del Valle expects the fight represents a new beginning for his career. “This time I have been inactive has not been a time when I have done nothing,” said Del Valle, who has not fought since last May suffered a close defeat in Las Vegas against unbeaten (16-0) Luis Rosa, one Puerto Rican based in the United States.
“That was a very close fight, very strong,” Del Valle said. “Some saw me win, but after watching the fight back, I have to honestly say that could have gone both ways. What I do know is it was a fight that I could have easily won if I had listened to my corner from the start,” he added.
“My coach ‘Millo’ Lozada was giving me the right directions at all times, but I am a very passionate fighter. When the fight begins what I want is to fight. It’s a very dangerous fight,” admitted Del Valle. “The fans already know Castañeda and knows he is a fighter who does not come to lie, that comes to battle.”
In the co-feature bout, the unbeaten light flyweight Angel ‘Tito’ Acosta (9-0, 9 KOs) will battle with Mexican Armando “Chiquita” Vazquez (23-13-1 and six knockouts) in a 6 round fight.
Junior lightweight prospect Alberto ‘Explosivo‘ Machado (9-0, 7KOs) who won four fights by knockout he did last year, will be facing Colombian veteran Jean Javier Sotelo (24-14-3, 16 KOs). The veteran Sotelo comes last for five rounds at super Mexican prospect Oscar Valdez last December.
Also in action top prospects and unbeaten Rashidi Ellis, Carlos Narvaez, Yomar Alamo, Luis Arias, Junny Troche and Bryan Chevalier whislt Antonio Ortíz will make his comeback fight.