23
May
2019

Ian John-Lewis gives his side to Brian Rose v Carson Jones stoppage

Phil Jay 19/02/2015

Top British official Ian John-Lewis has spoken exclusively to WBN just days after handing Carson Jones a first round stoppage victory over former world super-welterweight title challenger Brian Rose in Blackpool.

John-Lewis, 53, stepped in to stop the WBC fringe title contest with 33 seconds remaining on the back of Rose taking some heavy shots and being on unsteady legs. The Kent-native in turn handed American Jones his first win on UK soil in four attempts, much to the dismay of the majority of those present in the arena.

At one point in the round Rose looked on top, although Jones caught him cold with a shot behind the ear mid-round, and from then on it was all about opinions as to whether the home fighter was able to continue or not. John-Lewis made an experienced decision to wave the bout off but was then greeted with disgust from both Rose and his promoter Eddie Hearn, who afterwards called it ‘a very bad stoppage’ in his post-fight interview with Sky Sports.

Rose himself refused to even stay in the Winter Gardens ring for the decision to be read out by Master of Ceremonies John McDonald and stormed back to his dressing room with trainer Bobby Rimmer kicking and punching objects on the way.

Although John-Lewis is not permitted by the British Boxing Board of Control to speak too much about any controversy caused by refereeing decisions, the former boxer was able to give WBN a brief explanation of his side on Thursday morning.

“All I will say is Brian Rose was on ‘Bambi legs’ (disobeying him) which is dangerous with Jones pouring in hard punches to the head, and to add to that he never took a knee so I dived in,” John-Lewis told World Boxing News.

“I am not too bothered what Rose said as I understand that he is annoyed, that’s understandable. It won’t change my refereeing because I did my job and I stopped Jones from giving Rose possible harm.

“His pride is hurt and as an ex-fighter I get that, but at least it’s not his health,” he added.

A referee since 1993 following his retirement from boxing in 1992 with a 13-7, 8 KO’s record, John-Lewis remains highly regarded in the sport having officiated in many title fights around the world. John-Lewis currently has over 500 professional bouts under his belt and recently oversaw two WBC title contest in Russian and Japan.

In regards to a possible redepmtion attempt for Rose, which many are expecting to happen immediately, discussions are yet to begin as the victor Jones informed WBN earlier this week.

Your SEO optimized title