Provodnikov manager confirms Matthysse clash is ‘pretty close’
Ruslan Provodnikov is lining up a hard-hitting super lightweight clash with Argentinian Lucas Matthysse that could become a reality in the near future, according to the Russian’s manager Vadim Kornilov.
The 31 year-old, who is able to fluctuate between 140 and 147lbs, is awaiting news from the promoters involved on the bout possibly taking place in the spring, whilst also clinging on to the slight hope that a fight with Manny Pacquiao or Brandon Rios could happen.
“Right now a fight between Ruslan and Lucas Matthysse is pretty close,” Kornilov exclusively told World Boxing News on Friday.
“Banner Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions are both interested in the fight and are working on it as we speak. We will know more in about a week.
“There is a possibility of Ruslan being involved in a Manny Paquiao fight, and we are also open to a fight with Brandon Rios if he actually wants the fight, so there are plenty of options for the next fight.
Asked whether there is a chance the vacant WBO title at 140lbs would be on the line for any contest involving Provodnikov and Matthysse, Kornilov added: “No, I think that the WBO is in the process of working that out.”
Former champion Chris Algieri was stripped of his title when opting to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight version at the back end of last year, and despite the WBO stating that any appeal would be heard, the belt remains under consideration by the organisation.
Provodnikov is just focusing on nailing down his next opponent on the back of his stoppage victory late last year over Jose Luis Castillo in Moscow and ‘The Siberian Rocky’ hopes to return to his homeland again at some point in 2015.
“Ruslan will fight at least two times this year, possibly three. And yes it is possible that he will have another big fight in Russia,” said Kornilov.