Abril lawyer shoots down Mathews rumours, eyes summer Crolla rescheduling
WBA lightweight champion Richar Abril is still on the hunt for his next opponent following the collapse of his clash with the unfortunate Anthony Crolla.
Abril, 32, was due to defend his title against Mancunian Crolla on the challenger’s home soil on January 23 until the Briton was badly injured fighting off burglars near his home.
Crolla has vowed to return in the summer after suffering a fractured skull and broken ankle during the incident, leaving Abril with no choice but to find another foe in the interim before rescheduling the bout.
“We would still like to fight Crolla, but we will not wait until the summer for that fight,” Abril’s lawyer Greg Bloom exclusively told World Boxing News on Saturday.
“Realistically I don’t believe Crolla will be fully recovered and ready until that time-frame at the earliest, so Abril will have a fight soon.
“We are actively speaking/negotiating with other people for a fight in the very near term and we will release that news once something is more final.”
Rumours on social media that former Crolla conqueror Derry Mathews will be next for Abril on March 6 in Liverpool had been branded as wide of the mark by Bloom, who says there has been no contact with anyone at Frank Warren Promotions regarding the fight.
“I have been hearing these rumors as well, but I have not been directly approached by anyone offering this fight,” said Bloom.
“As of now a fight between Richar Abril versus Derry Mathews is not happening, but if someone wants to discuss it they can contact me direct,” he added.