Arum is working tirelessly behind the scenes as speculative stories continue to swirl around the media, stating on Thursday that he can see no reasons why the Mayweather v Pacquiao fight cannot happen in the coming months.
“I’ve been talking to the chairman of CBS, Les Moonves and he is confident he can move the other side and make it happen,” Arum exclusively told World Boxing News.
“This thing takes time, it’s slow and I haven’t dealt with the other side, but I am reasonably optimistic that the Mayweather side can be delivered. Do I know for sure? No.
“What would be required is that they both (networks) agree because Pacquiao is under contract with HBO through us and Mayweather is directly under contract with Showtime.”
Mayweather has been linked to a return to the ring on May 2nd following his two victories over Marcos Maidana in 2014, although Arum says if the fight is agreed, it will be pushed back until the early summer.
“If the fight happens it wouldn’t be on May 2nd, it would probably be in June,” stated Arum, before responding to suggestions that a rematch clause and purse splits had been discussed. “In truth we haven’t gotten as far as a rematch clause and I can’t talk about it (a purse split).
“I’m not confident (that the fight will happen), but I think the chances of it happening are more likely than not.”
Asked whether reports that a Dubai consortium had offered a massive sum to help secure the clash, Arum cleared it up in no uncertain terms: “That’s all bullshit. I am not paying any attention to any of that crap. Right now were are just concentrating on doing the Mayweather fight,” he said.
Fans and media alike are crossing their fingers that yet another false dawn doesn’t materialize after several attempts to pit Mayweather and Pacquiao together failed in the past.
One thing is for sure though and that is Bob Arum wants the fight made which leaves the ball firmly in Mayweather’s court – as the boxing world holds it’s breath for an anticipated agreement heading into the New Year.