Ryan Farrag’s manager Neil Marsh has had a £12,000 offer to Commonwealth bantamweight champion Ross Burkinshaw turned down by Dennis Hobson, WBN can exclusively reveal.
Marsh acted following the news that Farrag’s scheduled opponent Scott Gladwin had pulled out of their December 12 contest at the Hilton Hotel in Blackpool, a fight that was set to earn the winner the vacant English belt.
Carl Greaves and Marsh are co-promoting the show and had hoped to put together a cross-Pennine cracker between Burkinshaw and Farrag, which would have been some statement for what will be their first show together.
Burkinshaw was seen as an ideal replacement to defend the title he earned in defeating Jason Cunningham in September as Marsh had heard a proposed fight with Martin Ward was off and so moved quickly to give ‘Ross the Boss’ a solid fight offer.
“Sadly Dennis has rejected my offer and wants to do his own thing with Ross, but good luck to both of them and maybe it’s something we can look at down the line,” Marsh told World Boxing News.
Liverpool’s Farrag, who has lost just one Prizefighter three-rounder to Lee Haskins in his 13 contests so far, added: “I’m very disappointed that Scott has pulled out, but my manager Neil is moving heaven and earth to secure me a great fight before Christmas.
“It’s also disappointing that Ross won’t fight me, but I don’t blame him as I am a level above him. Good luck to him and his team for their next fight,” said Farrag.
The 26 year-old is set to press on against a new opponent to be announced in the next few days on a bill that also includes Adam Little and Nathan Brough in Central Area title bouts against Ryan Hardy and Sam Matken respectively.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN