Skip to content
Home » Bob Arum outlines situation regarding Chris Algieri ‘s WBO title

Bob Arum outlines situation regarding Chris Algieri ‘s WBO title

  • by
  • 2 min read

A recent statement by the WBO outlining that Ruslan Provodnikov had requested to be considered for the vacant 140lb title has been addressed by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum this week.

The World Boxing Organisation released information that suggested Chris Algieri would no longer hold the light-welterweight belt due to his decision to challenge 147lb title holder Manny Pacquiao on November 22, which then led to interest from ex-foe Provodnikov.

Arum has moved to rule out any stripping of the title by the WBO until after Algieri faces Pacquiao next week and is expecting some sort of announcement by WBO President Paco Varcarcel during the fight build-up.

“That decision (Algieri being stripped) from the WBO is now on hold,” said Arum. “Pacquiao will be over in Macau and (the press) can talk to him there.

“Obviously if Chris beats many all of this is moot, so a decision will be made after the fight. But (the press) will have the opportunity to question Paco in Macau because I think he will be arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday of fight week.”

Chris Algieri

Algieri himself added: “I am just focused on what’s in front of me. I really can’t worry about or complain about the WBO situation at this point. I am just focused on winning another WBO title on November 22nd.

“It’s one of those things that can’t matter to me. I’ve got other things to focus on and I’ve always been good at that. If it doesn’t make a difference right now, I can’t worry about it.”

The New Yorker won the title with a surprise victory over Provodnikov which some argued would warrant a return for the big-hitting Russian. But when Pacquiao came calling ‘The Siberian Rocky’ was forced to wait.

Provodnikov is set to return home to Moscow for his next outing against Mexican legend Jose Luis Castillo on November 28, although at this point the WBO belt will not be on the line as a decision won’t be made until November 23rd at the earliest