Pacquiao not thinking retirement, pins hopes on Mayweather clash in 2015
Multi-weight world champion Manny Pacquiao has no plans to wind down his career as the Filipino fighter, Congressman and basketball coach prepares for his latest outing on November 22.
At 35 and with his fingers in many pies outside the ring, speculation that Pacquiao would begin to think out moving away from boxing had been rife ahead of the WBO welterweight title holder’s clash with Chris Algieri.
Failure to land a fifth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, coupled with the stalling of a mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr have left Pacquiao’s legion of fans frustrated and a big performance is needed against Algieri when the pair collide next month.
As Mayweather has just two windows of opportunity left in May and September of 2015, Pacquiao remains optimistic that talks with the pound for pound best in the world can begin at some point in the future.
“I’m crossing my fingers – hopefully that fight will happen by next year,” said Pacquiao told the gathered media on a visit to Hong Kong.
“Right now my mind is already set to focus on my next fight with Chris Algieri. I think the time to talk about that issue is after the fight.”
On the question of a future outside the sport, Pacquiao added: “I’m not thinking yet about retirement. I will continue my boxing career, the journey will continue in my boxing career and we’ll see what happens.”
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN