WBO has no intention of sanctioning Marco Huck v Johnny Nelson
A possible fight of generations between long-reigning WBO cruiserweight champions Marco Huck and Johnny Nelson would not be sanctioned for the title belt, WBN has learned on Wednesday.
Since innocently answering a question put to him by German TV, 47 year-old Nelson has warmed to the idea of coming out of retirement, but with the added stipulation that it would only be to challenge Huck.
Nelson, who now works for Sky TV as a pundit, is aiming to stop Huck overtaking his record of thirteen WBO title defences, something the ‘Cap’n’ can overthrow in his very next fight, and the veteran says six months in the gym is all he needs to achieve it.
Current champion Huck, 29, has been linked to facing Nelson since his successful August title defence against Mirko Larghetti, and in a recent article with WBN, was receptive to any offer that included fighting on Sky Sports Box Office in the UK.
Since then, talk of the two sharing the ring has slightly gone off the boil, although WBO general secretary Jose Izquierdo has now joined President Paco Valcarcel in speaking out against the fight going ahead.
“I want to clear up that the WBO has not received any request whatsoever to sanction a fight between Marco Huck and Johnny Nelson. And even if we did, President Valcarcel has made it abundantly clear that we do not intend to do so,” Izquierdo exclusively told World Boxing News.
“We are very much proud of the accomplishments of both Nelson and Huck and admire the way they each dominated the division in different times, all while remaining loyal to our organization.”
Without the title and the chance to save his record, Nelson may now decide to remain in his role outside of the ring, which would leave Huck free to plan on retaining the belt for an unprecedented fourteenth time.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN