Former cruiserweight world champion Enzo Maccarinelli has immediately thrown his hat into the ring for another crack at WBA 175lb title holder Juergen Braehmer at the end of the year.
Braehmer’s promoters Sauerland announced on Friday that the German would be back in action to make the third defence of his belt on December 6 in Oldenburg and Maccarinelli hopes to be considered following the disappointing end to their first meeting.
Maccarinelli, 34, suffered a bad eye injury during the contest in Rostock last April leading to the fight being halted in the fifth round, and the Welshman had previously stated his case to be given a second chance. Sauerland had initially been receptive to the idea of an immediately return, although Braehmer ultimately faced Argentinian Roberto Bolonti in June and made light work of recording his 44th victory via a wide points win.
With Braehmer known to be on the lookout for his next challenger, Maccarinelli has confirmed that he is raring to go if the opportunity is handed to him after having his maiden attempt hampered through no fault of his own.
“Since the first fight there’s only been one thing on my mind and that is the rematch,” Maccarinelli told World Boxing News.
“I heard there were over 3.5 million viewers for the first fight and that tell us it would be a rematch the the public want too.
“I’m in great nick and raring to go. It’s a fight the Sauerland’s said would happen and its one that should happen.We would have no problem going back to Germany or anywhere else for that matter as this rematch needs to be made.”
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN