World Boxing Organisation President Paco Valcarcel has confirmed that a request has been formally received from Paul Smith and his promoter Eddie Hearn to get the ball rolling regarding a rematch with Arthur Abraham.
On behalf of Valcarcel, WBN had been told through his spokesperson, Diana Melendez that the WBO were just awaiting an application for consideration from Smith and his team following protests over the scoring of his world title challenge against Arthur Abraham.
Smith, 31, had put in a valiant performance against the super-middleweight title holder in Kiel over the weekend, only to be dismissed as just another also-ran with wide scorecards from all three judges.
Upon the request of Smith and Hearn, the WBO will consider heeded calls for an immediate return and have now opened their own review, which will take place before a decision on the matter is made public.
In other news, Billy Joe Saunders has told WBN that he is moving on from a much-talked about clash with Chris Eubank Jr and could now be set to be plunged straight into a world title fight.
Valcarcel has stated that Demetrius Andrade would rather defend his 154lb title belt than move up to middleweight as expected, leaving number one contender Matt Korobov scouting a new foe for the vacant strap left dormant by Peter Quillin.
Saunders has been named as the number two challenger by the WBO on Tuesday, who have also said that the fight could be set to take place in the UK – with the Chisora v Fury 2 undercard most likely.