Kell Brook’s injuries from a knife attack sustained whilst on holiday in Spain will have no effect on his future going forward, promoter Eddie Hearn has told The Daily Mail this week.
The 28 year-old was attacked in Tenerife in the small hours of the morning following a night out earlier this month and was treated in hospital amidst worries his career may be ended as a result.
Hearn explained that he feared the worse after flying to the Canary Islands to visit the current IBF welterweight champion, but after consulting with medical staff says Brook will make his return to the ring in 2015.
“The wound looked so bad that I was worried his career would be over. But the doctors say the stab wound missed every major artery and he will make a complete recovery. He has been very, very lucky,” Hearn told Ashley Clements.
‘The Special One’ was hoping to make a first defence of his new title later this year until these recent shocking events unfolded and will also miss the chance to make a guest appearance in Las Vegas this weekend.
“He had been due to be in Las Vegas for the Floyd Mayweather fight before starting his training camp in the US for December 6. But the plan now is just get him back to full health,” added Hearn.
Amir Khan, Devon Alexander and Robert Guerrero have been named as early contenders for Brook’s next fight, although the more likely scenario will be that the Sheffield fighter will be eased back upon his return.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN