British heavyweight Michael Sprott has confirmed to WBN that he is mulling over a fight against Olympic champion Anthony Josuha later this year, but has ruled out a touted date in October.
There had been suggestions that the pair would collide on the Lee Selby v Joel Brunker undercard at the O2 Arena on October 11, although Sprott says a deal for a November encounter would suit better.
“The fight with Anthony Joshua is not 100% yet, but we will see what happens,” Sprott told World Boxing News.
“I thought he boxed well against Skelton and looked good at long range, so it’s a fight I am interested in big time.
“Right now I can say that no, it won’t happen in October, but maybe in November,” he added.
Sprott, 39, has been in decent form over three rounds of late after claiming a second Prizefighter UK crown in December, before the Reading man reached the final of the New Zealand Super 8 in June.
The former British champion did lose via first round KO to Kali Meehan in the tournament’s finale though and suffered a similar fate the last time Sprott was scheduled for a longer contest against Erkan Teper.
Potential opponent Joshua has won all seven of his fights within two rounds since entering the paid ranks on the back of his London 2012 success and the 24 year-old has been enjoying sparring undisputed king Wladimir Klitschko in Austria.
The fight would be another gauge to assess where Joshua is at this point in his career, although recent performances suggest that the Londoner could be operating at a much higher level.
Promoter Eddie Hearn is being cautious with his big-hitting talent after witnessing the defeats inflicted on David Price by Tony Thompson last year and it could be another 18 months before Joshua finally hits world level.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN