WBA and IBO middleweight king Gennady Golovkin will be looking to seal a high-profile unification with WBC champion Miguel Cotto for his next outing, according to K2 promoter Tom Loeffler.
Golovkin, 32, battered respected and one-time unified 160lb title holder Daniel Geale in just three rounds at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night and Loeffler now hopes that a deal can be worked out to face the Puerto Rican legend for all three belts.
“A fight with Miguel Cotto would be the biggest fight out there that could be made, especially if it could be done for New York,” Loeffler exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Gennady v Cotto would be at the top of our list, however a decision on whether the fight happens would be up to Cotto.
“We would certainly want to make that fight from our side and we can only hope that so does Cotto,” he added.
A date of December 6 is already said to be in place for Cotto’s return to action on the back on the 33 year-old’s highly impressive victory over Sergio Martinez last month, although speculation is rife that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is the target. Cotto v Golovkin would certainly be the more welcomed fight of the two if both sides can agree to begin negotiations, with Mexican Saul Alvarez also being linked to a possible fight back down at 154lbs.
That all depends of whether Cotto stays up at the new weight or decides to vacate the middleweight championship and drop back down, even when Loeffler says a catchweight contest with Golovkin looks achievable as was the case against Martinez.
“The fight could absolutely be agreed at a catchweight,” confirmed Loefller. “Sergio (Martinez) fought him at 159 and I don’t see any issues in ‘GGG’ agreeing to the same weight.”
Right now, Chavez is the slight favourite to oppose Cotto, but whether the former world champion can safely get back to 160lbs following his almost two-year stint at 168 and above – could lead to more questions than answers.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN