Former IBF bantamweight champion Stuart Hall has been granted an immediate shot at his old title following a close defeat to compatriot Paul Butler last month in Newcastle.
The 34 year-old lost to Butler via close split decision, which prompted his team, led by promoter Dennis Hobson and Asif Vali, to lobby to the International Boxing Federation for another chance.
Hall has now been rated at number three by the body and will begin negotiations with Golden Boy in the near future to face mandatory challenger Randy Caballero at some point this year.
Vali, who works closely with Hobson, explained the situation to WBN and also stated that it’s not cut and dried that Caballero will gain home advantage for the vacant world title clash.
“We are delighted to have managed to get Stuart another chance so soon after the Butler fight,” Vali exclusively told World Boxing News over the phone on Thursday.
“The first fight was close enough that we hoped the IBF would rank Stuart high enough to get a shot at the title again and for it to happen so soon is great for Stuey and British boxing.
“Dennis Hobson has a history of trying to get his fighter’s world title shots at home and this one is no different. If we can get Caballero over here it would be another great night for British boxing.
“It’s just a case of talking to Caballero’s team to find the right deal for everyone,” he added.
Caballero, 23, has been patiently waiting the outcome of the Hall v Butler fight since manoeuvring himself as the number one in the division back in April with a stoppage win over Kohei Oba in Japan, which proves his willingness to travel.
The Californian stepped aside so that Hall could face Butler and previously told WBN that he would have no problem making the trip over to the UK to face the winner. Caballero and promoters Golden Boy are said to be keen on taking the fight Stateside though so it will be interesting to see how it pans out once both sides begin negotiations.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN