Canelo: Lara is a disrespectful pest, I’ll shut him up with my fists
Saul Alvarez feels insulted by upcoming opponent Erislandy Lara and plans to show no mercy when the two light-middleweights clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
The 23 year-old ex-world title holder, who comes into the fight having recently defeated Alfredo Angulo, believes some of Lara’s pre-fight trash talk has been in bad taste and has vowed to punish the ‘American Dream’ for his comments.
“I am fighting Lara for several reasons as I made my fans a promise that I would continue to fight the best out there and Lara is on that list,” Canelo told World Boxing News at last week’s media day.
“Lara has insulted me and my country so I plan to shut his mouth with my fists. He has been calling me out since the press conference the night of the Angulo fight and being a disrespectful pest. After the July 12 match he’ll be more careful about what he wishes for.”
Alvarez is keen on regaining the WBC he surrendered when suffering his first career loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr in September of last year and revealed why he opted not to fight for Lara’s interim WBA belt.
“I know they say Lara has a ‘difficult’ style, but I have the solution,” said Canelo.
“We are not fighting for his championship because I believe it would not add to the ticket and PPV sales.
“I see it as a good fight for the fans because you have two warriors proudly representing their countries…like the World Cup and for this a title is not needed.
“My training camps are always good and there have been no distractions. I feel strong, I enjoy my job and I am ready for Lara,” he added.
Canelo v Lara is live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Showtime PPV from 9pm ET / 6pm PT on July 12 and in the UK on BoxNation from 2am. To subscribe click BoxNation
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN