28
Jan
2020

Bob Arum brands Mayweather v Pacquiao Dubai reports ‘a scam’

Phil Jay 12/06/2014

A hope-raising report that a Dubai Prince has given the green light to bankroll a massive mega-money clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao has been met by a dubious Bob Arum on Thursday.

The story broke earlier on Wednesday that the ‘Prince’ wanted to put together the fight most of boxing wants to see in Dubai with a huge purse on the table, although Arum was less than convinced of it’s authenticity.

Speaking with ABS-CBN’s North American Bureau, Arum was quick to point out that there had been rumours of this nature in the past and that he won’t believe anything until contact is made to Top Rank through the official channels.

“I don’t know who this fellow is and he’s never talked to me or anybody in the Pacquiao camp,” said Arum.

“But over the years, we have met more alleged princes from Dubai than there are princes from Dubai. But he was as much a prince as you are. The last guy says he was a prince from Dubai. Turned out he was born from Brooklyn, New York.

“It’s a scam. I don’t know about this fellow. Maybe he is honest, maybe he is not honest.

“If they’re legitimate, why wouldn’t we be willing to talk with them and negotiate with them? But I’m very, very sceptical,” he added.

Mayweather and Pacquiao have been linked to what would certainly be the most lucrative pay-per-view fight of all time on many, many times in the past, with the fans being let down on each and every occasion.

Even phone calls between the two a few years back, without any outside influence failed to produce an end result, so the backing of a rich Prince seems unlikely to have any affect on whether the clash ever gets made.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN