Top Rank CEO Bob Arum will meet up with Juan Manuel Marquez on Thursday to get a definitive answer from the Mexican on whether he is willing to face Manny Pacquiao for the fifth time on November 22nd in Macau.
Speaking to me over the phone of Tuesday afternoon, Arum stated that any reports that the contest is already agreed are untrue, and that he won’t get an indication if the fight can be made until Marquez hits New York.
“Juan Manuel is coming to New York and he will arrive on Thursday. I haven’t talked to him at all about his future because I was planning to do it when he’s in New York,” Arum exclusively told World Boxing News.
As usual before a Pacquiao fight, rumours regarding Marquez possibly wanting to avoid another meeting with the Filipino have been doing the rounds, especially in the four-weight world champion’s home country. Arum dismissed anything that’s been said so far though and reiterated that nothing will be known until he sees Marquez face-to-face this week.
“Oh yes, (there are always reports from Mexico), but I don’t pay attention to that,” said Arum. “I know Juan Manuel very well. We have a very good relationship and whatever is coming out of Mexico I ignore.
“I’ll get it straight from Juan Manuel when I talk to him,” he added.
Following their electrifying fourth fight in December 2012, fans have clambering for a fifth encounter due to how Marquez finished the fight with a one-punch knockout – just as Pacquiao was finding his feet in what was a back and forth battle.
Marquez, 40, was initially adamant that the Pacquiao chapter of his career was over, although his loss to Timothy Bradley in 2013 seemed to indicate that ‘Dinamita’ would indeed consider the bout if the money was right.
The veteran has a final goal before he hangs up his gloves – to win a world title at welterweight, and with Pacquiao in possession of the WBO belt at 147lbs, we may yet see Pacquiao v Marquez 5 go down in China later in the year.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN