McGuigan says Martinez v Frampton rematch reports are ‘nonsense’
Carl Frampton’s promoter and manager Barry McGuigan has shot down internet rumours that his fighter will host IBF super-bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez in September for a high-profile second fight.
‘The Jackal’ explosively stopped Martinez in February 2013, only to watch on as the Spaniard claimed a world title just six months later when ‘La Sensacion’ dethroned an out-of-depth Jhonatan Romero in Atlantic City.
Reports have now surfaced, and been picked up by the Irish media, that Martinez has announced that the two will rematch on September 6 in Belfast, something which McGuigan dismissed when contacted by WBN on Monday.
McGuigan stated that any stories to the contrary where untrue, but did say that contact had been made with several parties as the Cyclone Promotions boss plots Frampton’s imminent world title route.
“The Martinez rematch is nonsense,” McGuigan exclusively told World Boxing News.
“We are talking to all parties, including (WBC champion) Leo Santa Cruz, Kiko Martinez and others, but at this moment we can’t confirm anything.”
Frampton, 27, recently dealt with ex-WBA title holder Hugo Cazares in his most impressive fashion when stopping the Mexican in just two rounds in a bout that was billed as an eliminator for a mandatory shot at Santa Cruz. British rival and WBA ‘regular’ champion Scott Quigg also has Santa Cruz in his sights for a possible unification contest as he and Frampton are continually linked to a future world title clash against one another.
There is no doubt that it is just a matter of time until the talented Frampton finally gets his shot at a recognised belt – with Martinez the current favourite to be given the enormous task of ending the 18-0 puncher’s formidable winning streak.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN