Enzo Maccarinelli’s disappointment at missing out of an immediate rematch with Juergen Braehmer could be lifted a little as Sauerland CEO Chris Meyer has opened the door to another fight between the pair.
The 33 year-old Welshman was defeated in five rounds last month after a bad eye injury forced trainer Gary Lockett to pull him out of the contest and Maccarinelli was hopeful that he would be chosen as Braehmer’s upcoming June 7 opponent.
That privilege has now gone to Argentinian Roberto Bolonti, who challenges the German for his WBO light-heavyweight title at the Sports and Congress Center in Schwerin, although Meyer says ‘Macca’ can earn himself another opportunity at Braehmer.
“For now Braehmer will fight Bolonti, but we will of course reconsider Maccarinelli in the future,” Meyer told World Boxing News.
“First, he needs a win or two to put himself back into a position to challenge and then he will be in our thoughts for Braehmer again.”
Maccarinelli was already in training for the June 7 date as publicist Neil Navarra previously outlined to WBN last week, with the former crusierweight king likely to be ready to get back in the ring around the same time as he continues his quest for more honours.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN