23
Sep
2020

Pacquiao talks camp, open scoring, retiring a champion and Bradley KO

Phil Jay 07/04/2014

Manny Pacquiao has spoken exclusively to WBN this week as the Filipino legend prepares for the biggest fight of his career so far against Timothy Bradley on Saturday night.

The MGM Grand clash, which is a rematch of their controversial first meeting in June 2012, represents an opportunity for the ‘Pacman’ to win his 11th world title in a glory-laden career as Bradley puts the WBO welterweight he ripped from Pacquiao on the line this weekend.

Pacquiao lost via one of the most debated judging decisions of the modern era when the two fighters first squared-up, with the eight-weight champion not adverse to entering the discussion on open scoring for all future world title fights.

“I am not against open scoring, and If the commission or the sanctioning body orders it I would not object,” Pacquiao confirmed to World Boxing News.

After suffering the dumfounding loss to Bradley, Pacquiao moved swiftly on to a fourth meeting with Juan Manuel Marquez and we all know how that ended as the Mexican capped the worst year of the Congressman’s boxing career with a stunning knockout.

Pacquiao decided to take stock of his options and at that point took a year off the sport, but feels his recent victory over Brandon Rios in Macau proved that he still has a lot to offer at the age of 35.

“I was so happy to return to the ring for the Rios fight,” said Pacquiao. “I really missed boxing and training camp, but the rest was good for me. I felt so energized and I think that showed in the fight. I was very happy with my performance and I have had nothing but joy in my heart in this training camp.

“I love training at Wild Card and having Freddie (Roach) and Justin Fortune working together again as we know that from now until I retire, every fight will be the biggest of my career.

“The goal we have set is to win all remaining fights and when I do retire, it will be as world champion and that can only happen with a victory over Tim Bradley this week.”

There has been a lot of talk from both sides about the potential for a stoppage in this fight, maybe in order to avoid the furore that overshadowed the scorecards previously, as Pacquiao admitted the he has to be more ruthless with the American when his chances come.

“I have trained hard and if the fight should go the distance I will be prepared. I have not trained for a knockout, but unlike our first fight, if the knockout presents itself, this time I will take advantage of the opportunity.”

A decisive victory for Pacquiao will certainly set the rumour mill in motion for future bouts with Floyd Mayweather Jr. and arch-rival Juan Manual Marquez in the coming months, but for now all focus is solely on revenge over Bradley.

“I never look past the fight I have in front of me,” he said when asked whether he would seek out Mayweather or Marquez next.

“The future is now and that is my rematch with Tim Bradley,” added Pacquiao.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN