Former world heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has decided that he will not run for President of Ukraine after handing over the honour to Billionaire Petro Poroshenko.
The 42 year-old, who enjoyed a dominant run in the sport until retiring to focus on politics, announced that the best way forward for his native country was to back Proroshenko for the May 25 elections.
Poroshenko is said to be the leading candidate from over 15 others intent on standing for the role as the country looks to begin recovery from months of uncertainty.
“The only chance to win is to nominate a single candidate from the democratic forces,” said Klitschko at a UDAR Party meeting.
“Let’s leave the principle ‘two Ukrainians – three hetmans’ to other politicians. During the last year I had been insisting on nominating one candidate… It should be the candidate who has the greatest support of citizens. I offer the only candidate from the democratic forces Petro Poroshenko be supported in the presidential elections.”
Klitschko could still be handed a position of power though as the fighter known as ‘Dr. Ironfist’ is now planning to run for Mayor of Kiev, according to a breaking news report by Interfax-Ukraine news service.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN