26
Sep
2020

Peter Fury unconcerned with lack of Chisora warm-up fight for Tyson

Phil Jay 18/03/2014

Amidst talk of arranging a possible full on gym spar with Carlos Takam, Peter Fury has exclusively told WBN that a warm-up fight is not essential as nephew Tyson Fury prepares for a second fight with Dereck Chisora.

Fury, 25, was quoted post-press conference as stating that he wants a no holds barred clash with Takam behind closed doors to help his conditioning for the July 26 rematch, although Peter said the encounter wasn’t in his immediate plans for Tyson’s upcoming camp.

“First of all, we would have to ask Carlos Takam if he would do that as we also have to think of his own needs as well as ours. However he is due to come over to spar with Tyson so we will see what happens then,” Fury told World Boxing News.

According to Tyson, it was stipulated in the agreement for the Chisora clash in Manchester that neither fighter can face any other competitor before they meet again in the summer, something that disappointed the unbeaten heavyweight but is not phasing his trainer.

“I am not worried at all that Tyson hasn’t another warm-up as we know what we need to do against Dereck and I am happy with our plans for the prep for this fight.

“We are confident that we will be in the best shape for the fight and we are looking forward to once again facing Chisora in July,” he added.

Sparring partner Takam fought earlier this year in running ex-Prizefighter champion Mike Perez close in a hotly-debated draw and as yet has no bout lined-up as he looks to improve his 29-1-1 record.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN