On the eve of his big cruiserweight debut against Valery Brudov on Saturday night, Tony Bellew has been given a huge incentive as Kalle Sauerland says a world title clash with WBO champion Marco Huck is a certainty down the line.
Sauerland was reacting to the news today that Eddie Hearn had been in contact about pitting Bellew against Huck in the future, with the German promoter agreeing that if the Briton earns his stripes at the weight, the clash is a natural one to be made.
“Marco Huck v Tony Bellew is a fight that needs to be built, but there is no doubt it would be huge!” Sauerland exclusively told World Boxing News.
“First, Tony needs a couple of cruiserweight wins under his belt and then I think it is an inevitability that we put him in with Marco for the WBO title.
“Eddie Hearn has already been in touch and we work well together – so there is no reason why this fight can’t happen. Marco and Tony are men of steel who fear nobody and both are a credit to the sport.
“It is my belief, and of course Eddie’s, that a world title fight down the line could be one of the biggest draws ever at cruiserweight,” he added.
Bellew, 31, takes on 37 year-old Brudov at the Echo Arena this weekend after two failed attempts at a light-heavyweight world title prompted the Liverpudlian to move back up to his old amateur weight of 200lbs.
‘The Bomber’ will be facing the solid veteran for a fringe version of the WBO belt currently in possession of Huck, which comes with a high end ranking that could make the fight possible this year.
Huck was due to defend the title against European contender Mirko Larghetti on March 29 in Berlin, although a fractured thumb ended that encounter – with the ex-heavyweight title challenger set to be out until at least the summer.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN